You already know by now that you need car insurance if you are going to drive. But many people don't know exactly what they need to get approved for car insurance. The exact requirements for the application process vary by state, but this basic checklist was created to give you a general idea of what you will need in every situation.
The application process can become frustrating if you don't have certain documentation and information on hand when an insurance agent needs it. So here are six items you will need when applying for liability or full coverage car insurance.
- You will need to know what type of coverage you want. Every state requires a minimum of liability coverage, but you may want to insure at a higher level.
- You need your driver's license and social security numbers.
- You will also need the vehicle's make,model, year and serial-or VIN-number. You should also know about any features like security or airbags.
- Know how you will use the car. Some insurance companies will want to know about how much you plan to travel annually. They will also want to know if the car is used primarily for private or business travel.
- Knowing your driving history is important. Remember to be upfront about any violations or incidents that occurred in the past. Getting these things out of the way will guarantee that you don't have any surprises later on in the application process.
- Additionally, you will need general information about your current situation. You may be asked about others who reside in your household. Your credit history and checking account information may also be required for application.
This is a simple checklist, but it is very useful. I bought one of my cars from an auction while back and had a heck of a day running around to get my insurance paperwork correct. It wasn't fun but it had to be done, because they wouldn't let me drive the car out of the lot until I could prove that I was leaving with insurance.
You can learn from my mistakes and avoid the hassle of not knowing what you need. Go forward with confidence, and find a deal that suits your needs.
If you have any more questions about insurance requirements, it's best to talk to a local or online agent. He or she can assist you with any questions you may have about your particular situation, and may be able to get you an even better deal.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Brad_R_King
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/8095776